Health Care in Canada
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Ishi-53
Ishi-53
Admin
https://forumtest-45.forumotion.com

Why Canada Stands to Benefit from Restricting Abortion: A Nurse’s Perspective Empty Why Canada Stands to Benefit from Restricting Abortion: A Nurse’s Perspective

Mon May 23, 2022 10:03 am
Recent headlines regarding the potential overturning of the Roe v. Wade ruling in the United States (US) has triggered debates in Canada and US about abortion rights. Like many Canadians, I am unfamiliar with the ruling and curious how it affects our country. Currently, there are no laws regarding abortion in Canada. It is seen as a medical procedure that is regulated by the provincial/territorial health authorities under the Canada Health Act (National Abortion Federation Canada, n.d.). No Canadian law protects the right to access abortion like Roe v. Wade (Neustaeter, 2022). However, no law in Canada restricts the access to abortion when it was decriminalized by the Canadian Supreme Court ruling in the 1988 R. v. Morgentaler case (Department of Justice Canada, 2022).  

I recognize that abortion is a controversial topic that brings about strong feelings from all sides of the debate. As a future nurse, I will likely care for a patient who has had an abortion or is thinking about accessing one. I started this forum to put my point of view in words and maybe hear from others who have views different from mine. I know that one of the first steps to providing equal unbiased quality health care is recognizing my prejudices so that I can prevent them from affecting the care I provide to patients.

Personally, this topic hits home because a few years ago I found out that I was pregnant with my third child. Unlike my first two pregnancies where I was excited, this time I felt pressured as I had just finished some schooling and was trying to focus on entering the job market. Pregnancy was seen as something that would hinder my goals and so the thought of abortion had surfaced. However, I was unable to bring myself to do it from both an ethical and religious standpoint. Today, I now see my six year old daughter growing, thriving, smart and so full of life. I would not have it any other way.

As mentioned previously, in Canada abortion is legal at all stages of pregnancy and regulation falls within provincial jurisdiction. I am opposed to this for two reasons. Namely, dismissal of the rights of the unborn fetus under Canadian law and secondly disregard for basic bioethical principles. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects the basic human rights to life, liberty, and physical or psychological safety (Government of Canada, 2022). In addition, equality is ensured in that everyone is treated with the same respect, dignity, and consideration, regardless of personal characteristics such as race, origin, colour, religion, sex, age, mental or physical disability and so forth. I propose that there should exist a federal law restricting abortion. Without one, I believe that the Canadian government has failed in its duty to protect human life as enshrined in the Charter when it passed that obligation to the provincial government.

Again, I feel that life begins at conception. Science has shown that the so-called “clump of cells” is a living entity that will go on a developmental trajectory to become a human being. Hypothetically, a growing child will not survive without aid after birth similarly to how they are before birth. Yet, legal ramifications only exist for the former. As a society, morals should be driven within an objective framework that is agreed upon. Such morals exist to protect the sanctity of life itself.

My Edit After Receiving Comments

Thanks to the many people who have stated problems with my stance, I have decided to add in solutions to some of the most common issues. It is important to understand that I am not advocating for abortion, but only in extreme circumstances it may be a viable option. As it stands, in most cases it should be barred.

Firstly, pregnancy may be shown to harm the mother or put her life at risk. The federal law I propose would permit provincial territories to use abortion only in extenuating circumstances and on a case-by-case basis. Secondly, what can a mother do if she were unable to afford taking care of a child at their current life stage? A place to stay already exists for orphaned children. These are foster homes, and they are publicly funded. The child may grow up without a parent, but at least they will have a chance at life and possibly even be adopted.

Abortion should not be a blanket solution towards a wide variety of more in depth issues in Canada such as unwanted pregnancy, lack of sexual education, lack of contraceptives and publicly funded services. Some alternative approaches to abortion can be increased access to government funded programs like family planning. Comprehensive sexuality education which includes medically accurate information and more government funding towards emergency contraceptives for primary prevention. These are fundamental issues we can solve in place of abortion, and will move us forward as a country.

Last edited by Ishi-53 on Wed May 25, 2022 3:11 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Changes I made due to comments)
shoaib3
shoaib3

Why Canada Stands to Benefit from Restricting Abortion: A Nurse’s Perspective Empty Comment #1 Re: Why Canada Stands to Benefit from Restricting Abortion: A Nurse’s Perspective

Mon May 23, 2022 10:14 am
If a mother is unable to physically birth a baby, or it may be harmful to her, what will you suggest if not abortion?
Ishi-53
Ishi-53
Admin

Why Canada Stands to Benefit from Restricting Abortion: A Nurse’s Perspective Empty Reply to Comment #1: User shoaib3

Mon May 23, 2022 10:17 am
You are absolutely right here! This is an emergent situation and as such abortion may be the only option as to not jeopardize the mothers health.
Sarah-22
Sarah-22

Why Canada Stands to Benefit from Restricting Abortion: A Nurse’s Perspective Empty Comment #2 Re: Why Canada Stands to Benefit from Restricting Abortion: A Nurse’s Perspective

Mon May 23, 2022 10:20 am
I understand your view on abortion is strict, however what if the mother is unable to take care of their child? If I were in a financially unstable situation - for example if I was too young - how would the baby fare?
Ishi-53
Ishi-53
Admin

Why Canada Stands to Benefit from Restricting Abortion: A Nurse’s Perspective Empty Reply to Comment #2: User Sarah-22

Mon May 23, 2022 10:25 am
Hello, Sarah-22. You are right that mothers may be unable to take care of their child. However, in such a situation foster care is always an option. I will make note of this in my post.
Hershel-95
Hershel-95

Why Canada Stands to Benefit from Restricting Abortion: A Nurse’s Perspective Empty Comment #3 Re: Why Canada Stands to Benefit from Restricting Abortion: A Nurse’s Perspective

Mon May 23, 2022 10:33 am
Great opinion!  Smile
Ishi-53
Ishi-53
Admin

Why Canada Stands to Benefit from Restricting Abortion: A Nurse’s Perspective Empty Reply to Comment #3: User Hershel-95

Mon May 23, 2022 10:37 am
Thanks!
Sponsored content

Why Canada Stands to Benefit from Restricting Abortion: A Nurse’s Perspective Empty Re: Why Canada Stands to Benefit from Restricting Abortion: A Nurse’s Perspective

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum